On his oUseful blog, Tony Hirst showed how to use Open refine plus various APIs to research which candidates were standing for election in the wards in which they live. This blog has unfortunately disappeared therefore i cannot point you to it anymore.
Making a google Apps script version
Converting to Google Apps Script is pretty simple since I have the components already migrated from VBA.
- Google Apps Script VBA equivalents
- GAS Rest Library migration
- Data manipulation Classes in Google Apps Script
- Scraperwiki data to Google Docs
In Automatic VBA to GAS skeleton I showed how to convert VBA modules to a skeleton Google Apps Script. I’ve taken the VBA implementation and imported that into the restlibrary examples Google Spreadsheet (see the questionElection sheet) and the restExamples function
I only have one one function to convert, since everything else is in the mcpher shareable library, and since the functions have been implemented in an abstracted way there is really only a little code/syntax tweaking needed. Here’s the result.
What it does
You can read about this in the VBA implementation, or in or in Tony’s original post, but in summary
- Read electoral candidate results from scraperwiki
- Get their postcode
- Use the mysociety API to get electoral boundary information
- Figure out whether the candidates live in the same wards for which they are standing
Continue reading about Rest to Excel Library here